20.2.12

Out of the cold

With a rise in temperature it was time to come out of hibernation and attempt some imaging again. During the period of intense cold the sky had moved round a bit with some fresh targets coming into my window. Last year I had noticed this patch of nebulosity but never got to image it. This time around it made a suitable target with a return to the Newtonian. What initially looked to be a good sky didn't have the transparency I hoped for and the fainter areas of the subject escaped me despite some heavy processing. Known as the Medusa Nebula, Sh2-274 is a large planetary nebula in Gemini which was originally thought to be a supernova remnant. Worth another go in better conditions. Details: 10" f4.3 Newt. 15 x 10 minute exposures @ iso1600 with CLS in DSS, FIV, CS2 & XAT.

1 comment:

John said...

Hey Pete, Snap. We were there on the same night. Check my blog. JohnB