30.11.11

Eunomia reaches California

Anyone with an interest in astronomy, especially in Britain, gets hardened to the disappointments of significant events being clouded out. So when I looked out and saw a superbly clear sky on probably the best evening that Eunomia would be transitting The California Nebula I almost had to rub my eyes in disbelief! It was also the day when the asteroid was at opposition at magnitude 7.9....My last few posts seem to have been a rehearsal for attempting a transit image that I never really expected to get.....The only thing I changed from the last Eunomia image was the interval between taking the subs which I reduced from 10 minutes to 5 minutes, the subs themselves I kept at 5 minutes. This time I got slightly over 5 hours worth of images before the transparency became too murky to continue. Getting another full 5 hours of good sky seemed too good to be true as just one failed sub would have marred the final image. With one slight glitch the guiding remained sociable throughout and even the CLs didn't seem quite as ruinous as expected (perhaps some of them were out!). One of my more memorable sessions with a pleasing result which I'm posting at a higher resolution than usual. Details: 10" f4.3 Newt. @ iso1600 with CLS in DSS, FIV, CS2 & XAT.

No comments: